Grim Testimony from the Dead of Two Years Ago
By Frank Smyth, August 30, 1996, Fort Worth Star-Telegram


Nyamiagabe, Rwanda -- Sights, sounds and even the smell of violence frequently remain etched in memory long after they have occurred. The stench of rotting cadavers will stay with you a good while after you've turned away. The surroundings had given no hint of the remains laid out inside the cinder-block classrooms: a hilltop breeze passing through eucalyptus trees, and fields of black earth planted with sorghum, sweet potatoes, and corn.

Two years after the government says they were slain, the victims' fragile-looking skeletons and skulls have withered to a dusty gray in what was once a village school, permanent testimony to their brutal killing. Bits of flesh, tufts of thick black hair and strips of clothing cling to some. They lie frozen in final gestures: Some are curled up in a fetal ball as if cowering or nursing wounds; others have both arms around their heads, finger bones clenched in defiance; here a child clings to its mother.

Some skeletons are well over 6 feet long, fitting the image of East Central Africa's tallest people, the Tutsis. In Rwanda's genocide, more than 500,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus perished. Roughly half the Tutsi population was killed. Thousands of others fled to neighboring countries.

Now they are returning.


Related Posts

Comments & Trackbacks

Guidelines for Posting Comments: Comments of all kinds are welcome. The stories on this site were reported and written in the spirit that free expression is the first check on any abuse of power. The site especially encourages comments that challenge us along with others to think. So go ahead, speak your mind. But please know that gratuitously offensive or vulgar remarks, especially against third party individuals or groups, will be removed along with any inappropriate commercial postings.

Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Trackbacks are disabled.